If you could go back in History....

AmericanRam

If you could go back in history, who would you like to meet?  Just watched a documentary about this and found some of the answers fascinating.  One bloke said he would like to go back in time and meet Hitler just so he could spit in his face.   :lol:

Their are several I would like to meet if I could, but my main three are listed in no particular order:

1) Abraham Lincoln: Great man and President.  His getting rid of slavery was tremendous and he had several other accomplishments as well.  I actually wrote my thesis for my minor in college on him.

2)Ernest Hemingway: Like him or love him, he is by far my favorite author and his works are astounding.

3)My grandfather: Died when my father was sixteen, and all the stories I have heard about him he sounds like he was a great guy and I would love for him to see how I have turned out.

These are just three of several I have in mind.  Would also like to meet King Tut, JFK, and Churchill.  How about youse mates?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hannibal Barca. Nobody else comes close.

Way down the list would be Alexander The Great and Scipio Africanus. All we have now are ancient historians biased propaganda etc and virtually all of that is based on notes and books they've read themselves

Roman historians were particuarly fanciful. The two most

Wonder how different their accounts are to what actually happened

Abe Lincoln - Great Vampire hunter wasn't he ARam? ;)

MLK - Seems like a guy you could talk to forever.

Jesus - Well hed have a few stories

Brian Clough - Love to talk to him 1v1 about everything

Steve Bloomer - Ask what footy was like back in his day

Frank Sinatra/Dean Martin - Some good stories from them two

Muhammad Ali - I wish I could meet the champ at any time of his life. A truly great man imo

Michael Jordan - Just because its Michael Jordan.......

Hannibal Barca. Nobody else comes close.

Way down the list would be Alexander The Great and Scipio Africanus. All we have now are ancient historians biased propaganda etc and virtually all of that is based on notes and books they've read themselves

Roman historians were particuarly fanciful. The two most

Wonder how different their accounts are to what actually happened

Ah yes Hannibal.That would be interesting.Genghis Khan could be interesting also.And Caesar.

LISTER: What about you, Kryters?
KRYTEN: Well, if I could go anywhere, absolutely anywhere at all in time,
  I think I'd probably choose to go back to a week last Tuesday.
LISTER: Why?
KRYTEN: Don't you remember?  I did all the laundry, and then we watched
  TV.  Wow, we won't see the like of THOSE sorts of days again.

William Webb Ellis so that I could kiss his fingers better after Eddie stamped on them and on with the rugby. Where would I have been in my early years without those two nice nurses looking after my fractured cheekbone.

Ps. It also taught me that as a 17 year old getting over gobby to an experienced player in the scrum has painful consequences. But those nurses.

My younger self. That way I could explain how to build a time machine in the future, as well as telling me lots of unlikely future sports results to bet on and stock options/property investments etc, enabling me to fund building said time machine, as well as a secret programme of human space exploration and, finally, to buy Derby County and make us the most successful football club in history.

Oh, maybe I'd pop in on Newton and Einstein too...

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't mind wandering around between 1860 and 1960 to meet members of the family tree i researched.

You discover people that led ordinary but fascinating lives:

One killed by the engine of a steam ship.

One imprisoned with hard labour for 6 months for 'going eqipped for poaching'.

Secret children no-one knew existed.

Some who were very wealthy. Some who couldn't afford a pair of shoes for their son.

Soldiers, sailors, butchers, bakers, builders, joiners, farm labourers.......i'd like to meet quite a few of them.

Archived