Drone over the iPride

Carl Sagan

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The company I work for is developing new drones for crop analysis and it's incredible to see what they can do & resolution they give. You just enter GPS co-ordinates and altitude and it'll fly to the exact spot and sit there.

We're using them to analyse the health of crops and establish if and in what concentrations fertilizer & pesticides are required. The goal being to only use them where they are really needed in the field and so use less, resulting in fewer chemicals on our food and reducing production costs.

Did a bit of ferrying for a mate last year. Couldn't believe it when the young lad on the combine had a perfect map of the field on his screen! Next minute he sat back, put his feet up and off it went.

Didn't dare tell my mates granddad... I remember fitting a CD player in one of the fergies, he stopped me on a lane climbed up and ripped it out.

Ah I miss farming.

• 2 weeks later...

Brilliant footage. Looks fantastic at night. Well done Nigel Pickering and Jim Smith. Now all we need is getting back to Premiership. Google are planning to deliver pies to your seat at half time using drones. They say they will still be hot when you get them.

Archived