Drone over the iPride

Carl Sagan

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fine stuff.

Until the police use one with a camera strong enough to pick out individual faces and software and listening devices that pick up individual conversations in the name of anti-terrorism; until the marketing department work out a way of peddling their wares using it; until Zan bloody Fish start delivering cod and chips right to the seat of the fat bloke next door to you during the match like Amazon wannabes (does anyone know if their chips are any good incidentally?).

I'm obviously the only one to find drones taking unannounced footage of a football match unnerving and spooky. Or maybe I'm too cynical.

But then I hate CCTV and speed cameras and police with cameras on their uniforms and drones dropping bombs and all the rest of it.

Fine stuff.

Until the police use one with a camera strong enough to pick out individual faces and software and listening devices that pick up individual conversations in the name of anti-terrorism; until the marketing department work out a way of peddling their wares using it; until Zan bloody Fish start delivering cod and chips right to the seat of the fat bloke next door to you during the match like Amazon wannabes (does anyone know if their chips are any good incidentally?).

I'm obviously the only one to find drones taking unannounced footage of a football match unnerving and spooky. Or maybe I'm too cynical.

But then I hate CCTV and speed cameras and police with cameras on their uniforms and drones dropping bombs and all the rest of it.

Do stop droning on Ilkley

The company I work for is developing new drones for crop analysis and it's incredible to see what they can do & resolution they give. You just enter GPS co-ordinates and altitude and it'll fly to the exact spot and sit there.

We're using them to analyse the health of crops and establish if and in what concentrations fertilizer & pesticides are required. The goal being to only use them where they are really needed in the field and so use less, resulting in fewer chemicals on our food and reducing production costs.

Fine stuff.

Why does it being a drone make it any different?  You already know there's cameras at the match, they'll be dozen's of people around with their cameras taking video, why does a little helicopter doing it bother you?

I think it looking amazing.  The stadium looks superb all lit up like that (compare to the city ground video!) I'd love to match a whole match from above like that - it looks like I'm playing Sensible Soccer!

Why does it being a drone make it any different?  You already know there's cameras at the match, they'll be dozen's of people around with their cameras taking video, why does a little helicopter doing it bother you?

I think it looking amazing.  The stadium looks superb all lit up like that (compare to the city ground video!) I'd love to match a whole match from above like that - it looks like I'm playing Sensible Soccer!

Without wishing to drone on any more than I already have, you and I obviously have very different views on being constantly watched, Martyn, when we're out and about living our lives.  Fair enough. But in answer to your question.....

Yes, I know that there are cameras already in the ground.  Doesn't mean I like them either, and I don't. But at least I am told they are there.

I'm obviously blind as a bat but I didn't spot the little perisher over the Ipro, but then I was watching a football match watching football played along the ground rather than up in the air.  And that's what I don't like about drones - they are even more anonymous than fixed cameras.  Sure, for innocent purposes - see Wolfie's comments above - they can be a fantastic boon but I don't like the feeling of being watched when I don't know that it's happening, and in this country it happens more than in most.

We are right at the start of the development of drone technology and the positive benefits for society are potentially many - including giving a different view of football matches.  But if you refuse the possibility that there might be negative uses of exactly the same technology then I think you are burying your head in the sand.

And that's why it - and all the other mechanisms that the state and companies use to watch and regulate what we do - bothers me.

Without wishing to drone on any more than I already have, you and I obviously have very different views on being constantly watched, Martyn, when we're out and about living our lives.  Fair enough. But in answer to your question.....

Yes, I know that there are cameras already in the ground.  Doesn't mean I like them either, and I don't. But at least I am told they are there.

[snip]

And that's why it - and all the other mechanisms that the state and companies use to watch and regulate what we do - bothers me.

I actually agree with pretty much everything you said, I guess I just don't get the connection to this aircraft in particular.

And on the bold bit - are we actually told we're being filmed?  I know we know we are, but are we informed in any offical capacity?

I actually agree with pretty much everything you said, I guess I just don't get the connection to this aircraft in particular.

And on the bold bit - are we actually told we're being filmed?  I know we know we are, but are we informed in any offical capacity?

Good point!  I think we are told about CCTV cameras in the ground, but maybe I have just come to assume that the notices are there.  I certainly expect their presence, home and away.

This particular aircraft I couldn't give a tinkers cuss about - the footage was fun and clear and different from others we have seen, and showed the stadium off well - it's the possibilities for the future that bother me.

I would bet you a lot that Sky, the PL, the FL and clubs will be bothered.  As technology improves, drones get smaller and smaller and cameras get better and better, who's to stop someone from parking a drone on the roof of a stand and live streaming a match worldwide? That might be a positive benefit!

Oh, you're one of those are you? 

Against the law

I couldn't tell you without knowing what "those" are?

There are plenty of "bad" laws which I certainly do not agree with.  We are far more authoritarian than a supposedly free country ought to be.

Sadly it seems things are getting worse before they're going to get better.

If you aren't doing anything wrong, why are you worried about being watched? If it's a public place I mean. 

Blimey.  Wish I hadn't commented  ;) .  But as I guess your question was largely aimed at me RL these are my reasons why I don't like surveillance and the comment - if you're doing nothing wrong then you don't have to worry. It's a fallacy.

1) Who sets the rules?  And how do you know those rules won't change?  The laws - informal and otherwise - have changed immeasurably in my lifetime never mind over the last 100 years and longer.  Who's to say that that a future government won't alter them again, and in a way that you don't like.  And it doesn't have to be our Government.  It could be the EU, or some other organisation we haven't even heard of yet or can vote for.  And once you agree to surveillance (because it is OK to do so under current rules) you accept that surveillance, whatever rules come into being in the future.

2) Whatever you may think about your own behaviour RL, someone else may think you are doing wrong, someone who may come to that opinion on the basis of wrong information.  People are wrongly imprisoned, have their children taken away from them because someone 'in authority' has decided that's the right thing to do for reasons much later shown to be false. Just because you think you are behaving innocently doesn't mean that everyone else will take the same view.

3)  I was born in the 50's and grew up in the 60's and 70's.  Lots changed in society during that time - big ticket items - and most of it came about by people breaking the laws of the day and IMO mostly for the better.  I am someone who believes in the rule of law, that society can't function properly without it, but equally progress is often gained only by people breaking the law. Surveillance makes that harder and breaking the law is never in the interest of the authorities who do the watching.

4) I like my privacy.  It's something I value.  I don't want the often self appointed authorities to know what I am doing. A minor, personal example. I lived in St Albans a while ago.  For the last few years I was there there were cameras at every entrance to the town recording the number plates of every car coming into the town.  The reason?  Preventing terrorism apparently, St Albans being a well known hotspot for such matters.  I don't like it. I have the same view about CCTV cameras and speed cameras and cameras on motorways and streets.

The 'don't do anything wrong and you'll be all right' argument is that of governments and authorities who want to control and know what their citizens are doing and yet it's only a minute fraction of the population that ever actually do anything wrong.  Why are we one of the most watched nations on earth?

On a side note, this was a private company, acting without permission, flying a camera into a public place of mass gathering. It could just of easily been carrying explovisives and ball bearings, if you was that way inclined.

Cheery bugger, ain't I? But it would be fairly easy.

Archived