The Popside

uttoxram75

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2s/6d for my first game in kiddies enclosure in 1969,  25p for adults in popside  1971

bout 4 quid for a season ticket plus 4 cup tickets ..

My first season ticket for the kids corner was

It really has died...and it's so sad. I bet when that photo from the Ley Stand was taken that the first division wasn't "the best league in the world" like Sky try to tell you it is now...

Interesting to see the difference in the demographic of the crowd from then to now, on that photo almost every person in it is around 20 or under, all of them are male and hardly any are wearing any colours...I can only spot one replica shirt in amongst them all, and I bet he hadn't for "Swindlehurst 9" on the back of it....

I used to love it on Colombo Terrace. I remember a late winner against Sheff Weds in a midweek match that saw me separated from my right boot and I never found it. I think it was Paul Goddard who scored...

Had a similar experience on the Columbo. Forest at home 87/88, our 1st season after promotion back to Div 1. Andy Garner - I think- opens the scoring, resulting in total bedlam. Lost an Adidas Gazelle trainer in the scrum and was on my hands and knees for ages trying to find it, getting walked on. Unlike you, I managed to locate my footwear. On the other hand, I found out, about 10 minutes later that the goal was disallowed, and they did us 1-0. On a day like that, with the terrace heaving, you were lucky if you saw a quarter of the pitch...

The Popside was great.

:-)

Apart from the farts.

The farts seem worse in all seater stadiums. In a terrace crush it was easy to evade detection but now, you can narrow it down to 2 or 3 seats. Its tough keeping that nonchalant demeanour nowadays when tens of people are turning round looking in your direction.........

Remember losing a shoe in a midweek game against Newcastle. They had Beardsley, Waddle, Keegan etc. and were 2 nil up at half time. We came back and won 3-2 with Bobby D scoring the winner. Atmosphere was electric. As Gerald Mortimer wrote in The Telegraph, "The walls of the Baseball Ground were strained with emotion last night...". Good times.

The farts seem worse in all seater stadiums. In a terrace crush it was easy to evade detection but now, you can narrow it down to 2 or 3 seats. Its tough keeping that nonchalant demeanour nowadays when tens of people are turning round looking in your direction.........

Remember losing a shoe in a midweek game against Newcastle. They had Beardsley, Waddle, Keegan etc. and were 2 nil up at half time. We came back and won 3-2 with Bobby D scoring the winner. Atmosphere was electric. As Gerald Mortimer wrote in The Telegraph, "The walls of the Baseball Ground were strained with emotion last night...". Good times.

Are you sure it wasn't......' The walls of the Baseball Ground were stained with a motion".

I know it's wrong but I miss those days .The tribal nature of football, the intimidating atmosphere of the BBG ,yes even the punch ups .

Two wrong words about Derby would earn a slap then,now days we and other clubs welcome fans ,Brighton a good example last season ,we walk together to the grounds etc. But its not as exciting ,maybe its old age.

Some bloke dropped his guts right in front of me on the concourse last week, before scuttling off to the toilets to check himself .

I never get over the thought that what is now in my nose and mouth was in his @rse only two seconds previous.....

.....and is still warm.

I know it's wrong but I miss those days .The tribal nature of football, the intimidating atmosphere of the BBG ,yes even the punch ups .

Two wrong words about Derby would earn a slap then,now days we and other clubs welcome fans ,Brighton a good example last season ,we walk together to the grounds etc. But its not as exciting ,maybe its old age.

Agreed.

Getting to and from the ground could be quite scary in those days.

I was thinking as I walked around the ground last week.....there were families, people smiling, a girl buying an icecream........and i thought.......

"this is terrible"'

Only match I ever witnessed was the last league game to Arsenal. 

Such a weird atmosphere that day. Will never forget it.

Following the pitch invasion me and mates wandered around inside main stand ......we all imagined ground would be demolished and were looking for souvenirs .....all of a sudden a door opened ....and Arsenal Team left the changing room next to us ...we could not walk any further forward, and just ended up walking out in the line of Arsenal players ...I had a bemused Arsene Wenger following me with his massive round specs on.  We exited into daylight behind club shop, and out of blue wooden door to a mass of autograph hunters.  Was rather amusing as we moved to the side to see Wenger and remaining half of Arsenal Team following us out ....  

Greatest personal memory ...Cup game at home to Arsenal in Autumn 1992 ....and travelled from Norwich with some student mates.

One lad had been unfaithful to his girlfriend back home. .....pranksters left behind at college rang up club repeatedly during first half .....to get tannoy announcement made saying "peter Butler your girlfriend Lucy has given birth to beautiful baby"

He nearly shat himself, the girlfriend was actually his one night stand "friend" ...and we were all swore to secrecy ......

The announcer at half time did add that the sex of the baby was not advised......but well done anyway !! 

Suffice to say he never re-visited the Popside, nor BBG again

I spent all that season going home and away ....for nothing :-(      And Arthur left 12months later to cries of "get your Cox out for the lads " from Barnsley fans who at time were given the Colombo terrace. 

All away fans moaned incessantly about the view of pitch .....which we were used to.

Don't know why but for a spell we had "Ilson" fans following derby in numbers, and singing Ilkeston!!!

it all got very heatd and rowdy one game against West Ham in 1988/89

Police came into Columbo ...and soon regretted it ....crowd surges occurred to send people hurtling into back of Police. Who then could not get out for ages ......

They never liked entering the mass of people, cant recall them doing so again after that game

Anybody remember the popside when it had the old tin roof with Offilers Ales on it .You got rust down the back of your neck when Derby scored.

Yep. Instantly recognisable

Archived