The Popside

uttoxram75

John was a cracking bloke, We didn't always see eye to eye, But you could never fault his passion for DCFC.

And the stories he used to post on the DLF site about his mam were brilliant.

He was also one of the main men in organising the big flag and looked after it for the 1st season or 2.  John, Myself and a few others were the people that used to walk it around from the North stand to the South East corner when we first got it.

He was also involved in the RPG alongside others off here when we decided that we needed to get rid of the 3 Amigos.

The bloke lived and breathed Derby County.

Whatever happened to the DLF website.. There one minute, gone the next.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We had some great times on the terraces Ash.

Me and your dad along with a good few others from around the Ossie park area had some fun times.

I've heard some quality stories what make the hairs on the back of your next stand up! Could write a book on them all from a lot of the lads which have been speaking about them.

I guess that's why he has only 1-2 teeth left. I'm sure you all wouldn't of changed it for the world lol.

My Dad used to do the announcements over the radio- things like birthday and when the first goal went in- remember those perforated green books you tore the edge off to open and reveal your time. He had me standing outside the PS handing out flyers calling for more singing.  And then he dug up the peno spot to put in Jacky Stamps garden. They were relaying the pitch over the summer and he thought it wasnt needed. Apparently it had been bought by some American. It was all over the radio and tv the next day.  He ended up having it iced like a cake by my granny who had a tea shop in Midland Rd, and handed it back at a do in Matlock. They left it behind despite all the fuss...

When I see photos like these posted in this thread it makes me realise all over again that football really is dead..

Rubbish! We had a wail of a time in the south stand on Tuesday. No one sat down from 4 rows back in the upper tier all night. Watching football is as alive now as it has always been, but its safer and it should be too. We've lost too many supporters on the terraces over the years.

Used to get in free with a under 16's bus pass for most games, absolutely loved it, always seemed magical turning the corner at night and seeing the lights, walking past the chippy, then round the ground and up the alley to popside.

Once inside, fighting your way to where you wanted, trying to stay out the way of the big b*****ds, getting crushed against the barriers every goal, or trying to crush your mates if they were in front.

The cry of to the back, followed by someone being passed overhead to the back of the terrace, and feeling sorry(almost) for any large away fan getting a snack from the kiosk, right next to the popside, when the 'Who ate all the pies' chant went up!

Taking my son to Brentford now, just so for the 1st time in his life he can experience terrace life.

I used to stand on the wall at the side of the walkway down the middle of Popside. Rarely saw the ball go in because when everyone jumped up I fell off the wall into the well.  Didn't see much at all really but it didn't matter..........!!

Then I worked out that if I was in the ground by 2pm I could lean on the bar at the front opposite the Ossy End penalty box and see everything .   But when it was a big game the lads used to pile in just before the kick off and hang off the rail pitchside..-..the same matches when they stood on the stairs up the side of Ossy End stand.

The memory that sticks out for me from my days on the popside is Charlie George coming over after he'd scored for Arsenal blowing us kisses and flicking the v sign and (it seemed) everybody trying to cover him in flob.

Not so long after he was a hero to us, it's a funny old game innit ?

Archived