Players religious beliefs

Boycie

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ignorance might be bliss mate, but you should check facts before you start

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramadan_%28calendar_month%29#Timing

Ramadan is NOT "in winter" - it moves every year

Ah, a moveable feast, like Easter. I still can't quite work out how Jesus manages to get crucified on a different day each year.

I could have sworn it was somewhere roughly around Christmas. Although, now you mention it, it was probably just that one year where Diwali, Ramadan and Christmas all fell around the same time and the office had an ongoing celebration, it was pretty cool. Like an ongoing Winterfest. I wondered why they never did it again, an this would explain it.

But, my point still stands, for those times when it does fall in December, how would a Muslim on ice station zero cope? Sound dumb, but it highlights that their must be acceptikns to the rule, and the Duke could have taken advantage of those acceptions based on his job.

It's interesting to see though that a lot of world class or formerly world class players are religious - Kaka, Falcao, etc. David Moyes is also reportedly a strong Christian.

Footballers are well know for being a bit thick, so statistically speaking you would expect more of them to be religous.

How do Muslims in Alaska cope? Well Ramadan is during winter, so you'd assume they'd cope quite well what with it being almost 24 hr night time. So my question should be, how would a Muslim working on an Antarctic research station cope with almost 24 hrs of sunlight?

If I was a Muslim, then I would fast according to the nearest sensible country. GreenRam is correct, The Islamic calender is Lunar, so it shifts over 10-11 days a year.

If I was a Muslim, then I would fast according to the nearest sensible country. GreenRam is correct, The Islamic calender is Lunar, so it shifts over 10-11 days a year.

I worship Ninkasi and Silenus.

How do Muslims in Alaska cope? Well Ramadan is during winter, so you'd assume they'd cope quite well what with it being almost 24 hr night time. So my question should be, how would a Muslim working on an Antarctic research station cope with almost 24 hrs of sunlight?

Rulings are made by a religious council about fasting in countries where daylight would mean very long periods without food and water. Or a fag.

Yep, you're right, moves 10 days forward each year, challenging at best this time of year for those who fast. A lot of modern Turks here, whilst they still consider themselves Muslim, do not fast most days. They may do it on occassion if they are going to a breaking the fast dinner but mostly do it to adhere to expected social convention. The more religious do it for the full month, some even for 3 months! The lack of food is not the issue for most, the lack of water is the killer. Also for those who like a drink and fast (plenty of those including a couple of good mates), they abstain from alcohol too - that's very harsh!

I did it for a couple of days a few years back and found it extremely difficult at best. Although I'm not religious at all myself you have to admire their dedication in getting through the whole month. Ive learnt over the years to not question anymore, just accept what they do and let them get on with it.

I would imagine with Ellington this would have been discussed and factored in before he signed - we obviously accepted it so can't knock him personally.

Archived