Eustace why.

Curtains

Football's about teams not about individuals. Too often, managers put square pegs into round holes trying to shoe-horn who they think are their best footballers into the first 11.

Eustace brings balance and experience and nous to our line-up. He's not glamorous - he came from Watford instead of Real or Atletico Madrid - but we have seen week in, week out, that when he plays in that position, we are better than when anyone else from the current squad other than Thorne plays there. With young John in the side, we marched serenely up to third place in the division last year and won seven league games in a row.

We should treasure him and respect the job he does. Yes I'd give him a very wellk-deserved rest on Tuesday night, as we need him fit for the legue campaign. But he should be one of the first names on the teamsheet come Saturday.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We need a holding midfielder with our formation, yes.. Eustace no...

Average is building him up to something he is not.

Was a complete waste playing him yesterday. In the first half, he had nothing to do against a team that never had the ball. As soon as they did we looked weak. This week I don't put either goal down directly to him but he is so limited in his ability it's almost embarrassing.

My one gripe with SM is he has not addressed the Thorne issue. Eustace as a stop gap, okay May be we don't have much choice but we saw last week against Forest how poor he is.

Like I've said a few times I'm not Eustace's biggest fan but what's the alternative? That's why he's playing. He is our second choice player in that position and we were 4th with him last season when he was first choice. Thorne opened our eyes to something entirely new. But McClaren built this style with Eustace and he's apart from Thorne i don't think he's found quite the right alternative. Mascarell will hopefully go on to be that but based on his game time so far he's just happy to build up his short pass accuracy stat and anything ambitious goes out of play.

I really hope he's great v Reading. I'd like to see someone more mobile than Eustace who can support the forwards more positively. Hope it's him. But who knows

Curtains here Alpha

I don't want us to change the SYSTEM per se

I want us to utalise the squad

You will come to your senses one day and realize I'm always right.

After all you rubbished my assertion that this season the Championship would be tougher than last season didn't you.

Like I've said a few times I'm not Eustace's biggest fan but what's the alternative? That's why he's playing. He is our second choice player in that position and we were 4th with him last season when he was first choice. Thorne opened our eyes to something entirely new. But McClaren built this style with Eustace and he's apart from Thorne i don't think he's found quite the right alternative. Mascarell will hopefully go on to be that but based on his game time so far he's just happy to build up his short pass accuracy stat and anything ambitious goes out of play.

I really hope he's great v Reading. I'd like to see someone more mobile than Eustace who can support the forwards more positively. Hope it's him. But who knows

I agree we have not got much else but as I said this is my only gripe with SM, he needs to address this. Yes we got to 4th inspite of Eustace but I honestly believe this league is better this year and he will struggle against the better teams... Yes he is fine against the poor sides who do not ask too much of him but when we are under pressure he is a liability.

Those who know me and have read my posts on here and DerbyMad will know I have never been a Eustace fan even when we were 4th last year..

Curtains here Alpha

I don't want us to change the SYSTEM per say .

I want us to utalise the squad

You will come to your senses one day and realize I'm always right.

After all you rubbished my assertion that this season the Championship would be tougher than last season didn't you.

You were on about 442. That's different system. Different shape.

We do. Every time McClaren makes subs they pretty much have a positive impact

We've played 8 games. Where were we at this stage last season?

You were on about 442. That's different system. Different shape.

We do. Every time McClaren makes subs they pretty much have a positive impact

We've played 8 games. Where were we at this stage last season?

Are you criticizing Nigel here because last season he was in charge at this stage.

Nigel had a tough run of games at the start of last season probably tougher than this.

I prefer to talk about this season and for me we have not hit the heights of the end of last season.

You know I like McClaren but I'm not going to start saying he's doing everything right all the time if he was we would be top of the league.

Are you criticizing Nigel here because last season he was in charge at this stage .

I prefer to talk about this season and for me we have not hit the heights of the end of last season.

We've played what? 10 matches and lost 1. Away 3-2 to a team that still hasn't been beaten. We beat the "Premier League" team 5-1 and got 73% possession, 3 1v1's and scored twice against the other. Just beat another Favourite for the top 6 away from home on Wednesday night.

If I'm honest, I'm not that worried.

We've played what? 10 matches and lost 1. Away 3-2 to a team that still hasn't been beaten. We beat the "Premier League" team 5-1 and got 73% possession, 3 1v1's and scored twice against the other. Just beat another Favourite for the top 6 away from home on Wednesday night.

If I'm honest, I'm not that worried.

I'm not that worried either I'm just pointing out options for McClaren with the players at his disposal but obviously as an outstanding coach he knows best.

But I'm sure he knows these things but doesn't always put them in to action through fear of losing games.

He can be swayed though by fans and commentators opinions as all managers are.

You see I can't go along with this not playing Mascarell thing because he's made the odd mistake while he's trying to familurise himself to the Championship.

39 matches left and in the last few matches we have showed for the most part the quality that served us so well last season.

Formation is fine right now for me,and as others have said Eustace is only real option we have until Thorne gets back as Omar just does not seem ready yet.Some might say well how about a short loan? But that is done also.

We are in good shape as Alpha says and I am confident this league is ours.

You see I can't go along with this not playing Mascarell thing because he's made the odd mistake while he's trying to familurise himself to the Championship.

Did you see Mascarell against Charlton either time, in the cup game for me he looked too easily brushed aside to play that role in the Championship, he had to resort to pulling players back for which he could easily have been booked or sent off, though he did improve a bit as the match went on.

He can pass the ball but would say he might need a hard man alongside him and even then he plays very deep for someone who is more of a passer, can see him not figuring a lot to be honest, but we will see what he's like against Reading.

We saw last season when Eustace didn't play we nearly always lost until Thorne came and not sure we can afford to lose ground at this vital stage of the season experimenting too much.

And you find me a post where I have said we did not need to play someone in the holding role?

You really should read them first.

Having watched Mascarell play this season it's clear he isn't the same type of player as Eustace. He's got the bells and whistles but he hasn't got that cynicism to know when to take one for the team etc. you're suggesting we shouldn't have started Eustace at home against Cardiff after the hindsight of knowing we would dominate possession... Not hard that isnt

Having watched Mascarell play this season it's clear he isn't the same type of player as Eustace. He's got the bells and whistles but he hasn't got that cynicism to know when to take one for the team etc. you're suggesting we shouldn't have started Eustace at home against Cardiff after the hindsight of knowing we would dominate possession... Not hard that isnt

Blimey... I would not start Eustace anywhere, at any time, at any place... That's NOT hindsight, I have been pretty consistant in that view since the muppet joined us. We play better with a holding midfielder but not him.

I have also stated many times on here that, at the moment, we have no choice as SM has not addressed the Thorne situation correctly IMO. 

Blimey... I would not start Eustace anywhere, at any time, at any place... That's NOT hindsight, I have been pretty consistant in that view since the muppet joined us. We play better with a holding midfielder but not him.

I have also stated many times on here that, at the moment, we have no choice as SM has not addressed the Thorne situation correctly IMO. 

Interesting Angry - how do you feel SMc should have addressed the Thorne situation?

Interesting Angry - how do you feel SMc should have addressed the Thorne situation?

Not with a plodder who has no pace and who's legs have gone for 90 minutes week in week out.

Just backing Angry on this as I initiated this debate.

PS Eustace is slower than Dave Mackay but he's no Dave Mackay.

I'm not having a go really at Eustace but more at McClaren for playing him and I like McClaren.

But what do I know I'm surprised Eustace was retained.

For those fans who go on about how well we are playing and the amount of possession we have in games we are 9th in the table having spent a lot of money and we drew our last 2 home games with Eustace starting and unable to last 90 minutes

On another note Sammon scored last night lol

He has to be looking at Shotton playing there and also bringing Mascarell up to speed. 

Listen Eustace is probably a nice bloke but he's at best a journeyman pro who has never done anything much in his career.

You can't just be a blocker playing in that role, football has moved on since then. You have to bring more to the party just as Thorne did when he came in and hopefully other players could do for us until Thorne gets back. Honexstly, I don't think he is a very good blocker, he get's caught wrong side far too often. He's too slow in everything he does both physically and mentally. His reading of situations is poor.

Yes, we can get away with carrying him for games against opposition where we feel we will dominate possession and he won't be put under too much pressure but as soon as a decent midfield comes along... He will struggle.

The Thorne injury was a massive blow to us, yes it was near the season starting but SMc should have been thinking about more than Eustace as the solution. He obviously did as he has tried Hughes there and I believe he thought that would be the answer. No problem with that, as that is what I would have done.. It did not work so now he is stuck with Eustace. Now he has to be addressing that.

I think Mascarell was brought in as the solution but as yet has not yet learned how to play the DM role in England. Very different to the Spanish version. I remember an interview with Mascarell. He was asked what fans could expect from him. He said he would be the one to dictate the play from the back. I expect now he realises he has to introduce much more urgency into his game, cut out the Hollywood passes, toughen up in the tackle and time them better and generally be an integral part of the team rather than a passenger.

In short he may or may not be up to the role he was brought in for........................Hence John Eustace now becoming essential.

He has to be looking at Shotton playing there and also bringing Mascarell up to speed. 

Listen Eustace is probably a nice bloke but he's at best a journeyman pro who has never done anything much in his career.

You can't just be a blocker playing in that role, football has moved on since then. You have to bring more to the party just as Thorne did when he came in and hopefully other players could do for us until Thorne gets back. Honexstly, I don't think he is a very good blocker, he get's caught wrong side far too often. He's too slow in everything he does both physically and mentally. His reading of situations is poor.

Yes, we can get away with carrying him for games against opposition where we feel we will dominate possession and he won't be put under too much pressure but as soon as a decent midfield comes along... He will struggle.

The Thorne injury was a massive blow to us, yes it was near the season starting but SMc should have been thinking about more than Eustace as the solution. He obviously did as he has tried Hughes there and I believe he thought that would be the answer. No problem with that, as that is what I would have done.. It did not work so now he is stuck with Eustace. Now he has to be addressing that.

Yes I tend to agree with you (and the Scarlet Pimpernel) - in that OMG could be the answer (obv was brought in to be such) and that Shotton may also be possible. I think in the case of OMG - as the Pimp says he needs toughening up etc - hence why he is not starting - and in the case of Shotton - fitness (and to a lesser extent) experience of that role may be reasons why he has not yet featured there.

I think though that SMc is "addressing" the issue - having tried Hughes, bought OMG in and put Eustace back in there - I don't think that Eustace will remain as the permanent fixture there for this season though - more as a filler when needed - just as now.

One thing that is interesting though is that our Plan "B" (when we are chasing a game) does not involve a CDM - and is a 4213-esque (Martin plays slightly behind Best in those situations as on Saturday) or 424 formation - and home or away we batter teams (at the risk of being caught on the break of course).

So wouldn't it be fun to say fookit and go with that from the off - tonight perhaps? We certainly have enough attacking players to play this way and still have impact players on the bench.  :)

Archived