Eustace why.

Curtains

Plus individual lapses I think were at fault for a fair few of the goals so not much the CDM can do about that really.

I would say Keogh was more at fault than Eustace at Blackburn as he was still marking their man tightly and allowed him to turn and score, the throw was too high for Eustace to head away really as he jumped up and it went over him so how can he be blamed for that?

in the way the others thought he had it covered

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My point is we conceded goals even with Eustace protecting the back 4 . ie 4 in 3 games.

We defend as a team.

How many goals would we have conceded with Mascarell in the Eustace role.

Answer we don't know.

Probably the same amount...

The defence (mainly Whitbread and Forsyth) were responsible for the goals yesterday. Saying Eustace is responsible because 'we defend as a team' is like saying Chris Martin was responsible for conceding.

Each player has a responsibility to play well and do his role properly, Eustace did that yesterday but Whitbread and Forsyth didn't and consequently we conceded. Just because Eustace plays in the defensive midfield role, he cannot be held responsible for a lapse in defending from the back 4.

Probably the same amount...

The defence (mainly Whitbread and Forsyth) were responsible for the goals yesterday. Saying Eustace is responsible because 'we defend as a team' is like saying Chris Martin was responsible for conceding.

Each player has a responsibility to play well and do his role properly, Eustace did that yesterday but Whitbread and Forsyth didn't and consequently we conceded. Just because Eustace plays in the defensive midfield role, he cannot be held responsible for a lapse in defending from the back 4.

People are lauding Eustace as if he's this and that.

NC Spotted he was too old.

He is past it he to old get rid

I bet you said the exact same at the beginning of last season...

Eustace has performed exceptionally well in that role in the 40 odd appearances he's played for us. He's exactly what we needed between the midfield and back 4. 

How people can still say 'he's past it' is beyond me. 

People are lauding Eustace as if he's this and that.

NC Spotted he was too old.

What are you even talking about?

Age has nothing to do with it. Just look at Lampard, still an exceptional player despite his age. Eustace is obviously less talented but is still putting in 100% for the team and doing a good job.

Why can't you see that if Mascarell is better than Eustace, he would be starting.

McClaren obviously thinks Eustace is the best CDM we've got (barre Thorne) and therefore is playing him.

I quite like J.E. to be fair, while realising he is in the closing stages of his career, 11 flair players wont work without some graft and I am proud to say I picked out The Eust playing for Coventry many years ago as someone who stood out as a noteworthy player (so there lol)

OK when he first came on loan in a poorish side under Clough he didn't set the world alight but I think with the right players around him he does a decent job, we did get to third in the League with him playing regularly last season remember, and Mascarell and Hughes are unproven really in the position long term at Championship level (probably they will cope with playing a few games in the role for short periods but we don't have a lot of time for the learning curve this season if we want to do something).

What are you even talking about?

Age has nothing to do with it. Just look at Lampard, still an exceptional player despite his age. Eustace is obviously less talented but is still putting in 100% for the team and doing a good job.

Why can't you see that if Mascarell is better than Eustace, he would be starting.

McClaren obviously thinks Eustace is the best CDM we've got (barre Thorne) and therefore is playing him.

Ok it's simple really I didn't agree with McClarens starting line up against Cardiff.

Ok it's simple really I didn't agree with McClarens starting line up against Cardiff.

McClaren sees all the players train on a daily basis and therefore knows what each player is capable of including current form and injuries. He has all week to consider what the best possible starting 11 for gameday is.

Because of this, McClaren knows a lot more about the players than you or I and therefore is in a better position to select the team. Hence why he's manager and not you.

The reason we're getting these WUM threads in the main section is because PrivateDerby won't get off his lazy arse and start the matchday thread. It's only two days to Reading...

Obviously bringing in Eustce has been the right decision and he's the grease in the engine that allows the rest of the team to play so much better. At the same time, after three games last week I'd give him a very well-deserved rest and try Mascarell again.

Jesus Christ, WALOFS.

Mascarell has done nothing to show he's any better (yet) in that position. I can remember him giving the ball away in dangerous areas at least twice in his brief league appearances along with spraying Hollywood passes straight into touch with alarming regularity. It will take him time to settle down and adapt and it wouldn't surprise me if down the line he can stake his claim and make the position his own but what's clear right now is he isn't ready.

Also to suggest performances haven't improved since Eustace came back in is ludicrous, sorry. I will add though that of course correlation does not necessarily imply causation and it could just be we're settling into the season but we have definitely improved from when Hughes was playing in that role.

Bullsh1t like this reaffirms my views that a lot of derby fans haven't got a clue. Hindsight is absolutely wonderful but could mac really assume that Cardiff would be poor in possession before we'd played them? They have a lot of good players so it'd be silly to assume we'd have 70odd % of possession.

Eustace May not be glamorous but he plays the most important position in a 433 and he doesn't do much wrong at all. Mascarell has all the bells and whistles but he doesn't know when is the right time to take a player out to break up an attack and receive a yellow for the team.

You've just reafirmed my view you have not got a clue

We need a holding midfielder with our formation, yes.. Eustace no...

Average is building him up to something he is not.

Was a complete waste playing him yesterday. In the first half, he had nothing to do against a team that never had the ball. As soon as they did we looked weak. This week I don't put either goal down directly to him but he is so limited in his ability it's almost embarrassing.

My one gripe with SM is he has not addressed the Thorne issue. Eustace as a stop gap, okay May be we don't have much choice but we saw last week against Forest how poor he is.

He was pointless yesterday. In a game like that, where we had so much possession against a team sitting deep, it was made for Mascarell. Momentum was lost so often when the ball ended up at his feet first half.

I understand the balance thing, but Mascarell deserves a go to show if he can bring it too. We all know Hendrick/Bryson/Hughes doesn't work.

Because Mascarell hasn't impressed so far.

Thorne is injured

Hendrick is injured

Bryson won't be happy there

Hughes isn't entirely comfortable there

The system that's so successful requires a physical protective midfielder who will tidy up. (Although Thorne does more than just tidy up)

McClaren sees all the players train on a daily basis and therefore knows what each player is capable of including current form and injuries. He has all week to consider what the best possible starting 11 for gameday is.

Because of this, McClaren knows a lot more about the players than you or I and therefore is in a better position to select the team. Hence why he's manager and not you.

We need a holding midfielder with our formation, yes.. Eustace no...

My one gripe with SM is he has not addressed the Thorne issue. Eustace as a stop gap, okay May be we don't have much choice but we saw last week against Forest how poor he is.

The point seems to be argued in these posts, firstly Mac cant assume any side is going to play like Cardiff did, so he picked Eustace, Mac must think that Eustace is better than Omar in that position at the moment..

In bringing in Omar, they tried to address the loss of Thorne, i think Chris Evans must have thought he was better than he is, or he and Mac believe he will improve quickly, because abit of flair aside, i, and they, think Eustace is a 'safer' bet atm.

Its all seemingly easy with hindsight, whether its picking the right starting 11, or bringing players in on a budget, but without hindsight people will always be open for criticism.

For me, i think he should have brought on Omar at half time, then Ibe soon afer with Beast,but when u only have 3 subs to use... will there be injuries to cover 2nd half ??  gimme hindsight every time :rolleyes:

You've just reafirmed my view you have not got a clue.. Pompous mug.

Call me what you want, you'll grow up eventually but I didn't see this thread before the match and I didn't see you saying "oh Cardiff are gonna be useless in possession tomorrow I don't think we need Eustace as we'll have over 70% possession" Find me a post along those lines (not just 'dont play eustace hes ****') and I'll apologise but until then you keep deciding your tactics after the match as finished with hindsight. I'm sure all managers would love that ability. Doesn't mean you know any more than I do and it doesn't mean you know more than Mac. We can all watch games back and point out what we could do differently... 

Mug was a bit too far to be fair.

Nah mug was not far enough.. But some plum moderator changed the settings and it turned to sausage..

What pissed me off was him saying some fans know nothing because they don't seem to have the same view as him. VVanker would have been a better choice.

Yorkshire is pro Eustace, that's fine, he has a view but I have not seen him get all pompous about it.

And who the fook wants to grow up..

Call me what you want, you'll grow up eventually but I didn't see this thread before the match and I didn't see you saying "oh Cardiff are gonna be useless in possession tomorrow I don't think we need Eustace as we'll have over 70% possession" Find me a post along those lines (not just 'dont play eustace hes sausage') and I'll apologise but until then you keep deciding your tactics after the match as finished with hindsight. I'm sure all managers would love that ability. Doesn't mean you know any more than I do and it doesn't mean you know more than Mac. We can all watch games back and point out what we could do differently...

And you find me a post where I have said we did not need to play someone in the holding role?

You really should read them first.

Archived