Richard Keogh - New Deal

Cam the Ram

Article on the BBC said that he's signed the contract now .

Richard Keogh: Derby County captain signs new contract

Derby County captain Richard Keogh has signed a new deal which keeps him at the club until the summer of 2017.

The 28-year-old Republic of Ireland international was out of contract at the end of this season and had been attracting interest from Burnley.

First-team coach Paul Simpson told BBC Radio Derby: "Richard is the last one of a list the club wanted to deal with.

"It's taken a little bit longer than we all would have hoped, but it hasn't had any bearing on his performances."

Striker Chris Martin and midfielders Will Hughes and Craig Bryson are three others from last season's squad who have signed new contracts, and Simpson said he was thrilled Keogh has now followed suit.

"He's continued to be strong and lead the team and hopefully now that little issue has been dealt with he can move on and get even better for us," he added.

"We talk about the whole team being leaders as we have a senior group. But he has the captain's armband and does that role very, very well.

"Even if he's not talking, he's leading by example, but even with the style of football we want to play, he's a very important part of that."

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought Keogh had a slow, but okay, August and I wouldn't have been at all upset if he had been sold. That's the truth. However, he has been outstanding in the last three games and I'd hate to think where we'd be placed without him.

Do I think he's as good as Buxton: No. Do I think he could be improved upon: Yes. Am I happy with him in the team: Yes. 

He'll split opinion because he's not a world beater and can be prone to weak and unconvincing defending. That said, he's still one of the better defenders in the league.

Well .......... Yeah, .... Listen, it's like you said ..... I'm a good talker. I like to think that, well I'm a great communicator, y'know like I say, as you say an'orl, well, what I meant is this .... Y'know we've a great bunch, but as I say, it's not what you do it's what you say. Yeah ... I know. Well as you say, yeah, nice to talk ....... Yeah you know. Bye for now, you know, as you've already pointed out. Cheers.

Archived