Memorial at the iPro

AmericanRam

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right, technically... And I believe I'm right in saying this... He was never a professional footballer for Derby?

In the same way that (unless I'm off my trolley on a Wednesday night... highly likely) the last British person killed in WW1 played for Derby in some kind of amateur form....

Don't know for sure, just responded without googling... Tin hat... hey!

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry in advance if this is not appropriate to the thread title. If not please MODs please put where appropriate. And sorry for the people that migrate between here and Popside as this is duplicated.
Just abit of info really. Tuesday night my lads footy team (which I manage) Sawley Gators u12s are coming out onto the pitch with the teams. The reason why they have been selected is because we are going to Belgium (Ypres Area) 31/10 - 2/11 and playing a footy team called PloegSteert (Plug Street if you were a Tommy in 1914.) and where we are stopping is a v short distance from the grave of Reg Callender who played for Derby and died in the fighting. Derby County are presenting the kids with a Poppy Wreath before the game which we will take and visit/place on his grave. I went in June with the family and was so moved and humbled by the sacrifice made, which becomes so apparent as you go round the spotless graves and memorials and visit the museums in the area. To prepare the kids, they are having to do a quiz questionaire so that when we get therethey will have some knowledge of what happened and hopefully learn about the sacrifice given. They all play 'Call of Duty' and to the kids, being killed means restarting the game, which the fallen WW1 couldnt do. Anyway everyone at Derby County I've spoken to has been very helpful, nothing being too much trouble. Sawley Gators have got a website that I fumble my way through to amuse the kids so theres more info on there. We are guests at the last post ceremony where we are laying wreaths for Aston on Trent Parish Council' on behalf of the Mayor of Erewash. And for anyone even remotely thinking of taking the very short trip over, do.
Only thing left for me to ask.... and no, no money being asked for. If anyone has the retro shirt, the multi panel colour one I believe was the one worn pre WW1 that I could borrow and return (for pics over there) please message me. Oh and shout hello to the kids and give them a wave as they go round the pitch to 'G' block East Lower!

Archived