Under 21s & Academy 14/15

-JW-

• Replies 744
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mansfield Town Match Report:

Jeff Hendrick scores as Lee Glover's side get their Final Third Development League Cup campaign underway

Derby County Under 21s showed their class in the second half to record a 5-1 victory over a young Mansfield Town side to get their Final Third Development League Cup campaign off to a winning start.

Kwame Thomas notched his first goals at Under 21 level since their opening day victory over Middlesbrough either side of half time, whilst Omar Mascarell curled in a sublime free kick to give Derby a 2-0 lead.

Reggie Lambe temporarily cut the deficit before Thomas, Jeff Hendrick and Max Lowe added further goals in a dominant second half.

Both teams sparred for the first 17 minutes of the contest with Derby controlling large spells of possession, but it was the home side that carved out the first real opportunity of the contest after Hendrick had been dispossessed. 

Jamie McGuire picked the Republic of Ireland international

I went to the U21 match this evening. Free of charge, nice ground and massively entertaining match. One apiece at half time. Wow can they pas the ball with ease. Actually, it is like watching the first team. Relentless good football in second half with Rams running out 5-1 winners. I lost count of our attempts on goal. Hendrick had an hour and looks well on course for a full game if he can get in. Admittedly the opposition was not great but Mascarell and Calero are wonderful to watch. Mascarell could pass a ball through a tiny gap at pace and seemingly in instinctive fashion. If Calero gets in the first team he will score goals for sure. George Thorne definitely believes that he will be running about with a ball at some time in January. He may well be causing havoc some time in February. My advice is to go to these matches if you can. Would be nice if DCFC built a stand on one side of one pitch at Moor Lane to look after visitors. 1000 fans at U21 games would convince these players of how good they are and can become. I think a bid for Mascarell at the end of the season may happen. Another six months and scouts will be regular visitors to U21 games. Goals scored by Thomas (2),Mascxarell, Hendrick and Lowe. Mascarell's  free kick into corner was brilliant.

I went to the U21 match this evening. Free of charge, nice ground and massively entertaining match. One apiece at half time. Wow can they pas the ball with ease. Actually, it is like watching the first team. Relentless good football in second half with Rams running out 5-1 winners. I lost count of our attempts on goal. Hendrick had an hour and looks well on course for a full game if he can get in. Admittedly the opposition was not great but Mascarell and Calero are wonderful to watch. Mascarell could pass a ball through a tiny gap at pace and seemingly in instinctive fashion. If Calero gets in the first team he will score goals for sure. George Thorne definitely believes that he will be running about with a ball at some time in January. He may well be causing havoc some time in February. My advice is to go to these matches if you can. Would be nice if DCFC built a stand on one side of one pitch at Moor Lane to look after visitors. 1000 fans at U21 games would convince these players of how good they are and can become. I think a bid for Mascarell at the end of the season may happen. Another six months and scouts will be regular visitors to U21 games. Goals scored by Thomas (2),Mascxarell, Hendrick and Lowe. Mascarell's free kick into corner was brilliant.

Good post that.

That Mascarell really can thread the eye of a needle can't he.

He sees passes even Thorne wouldn't see but Thorne is that bit stronger at the moment physically but of course he's getting over injury .

How long before Thomas gets a chance ?

Yeah was also wondering about thomas, anyone who watches u21, how close is he realistically to pushing best for the back up striker role?

Well, he has bagged some solid goals so far for the U 21's and from most reports I have read he has been pretty good all around.  As for when he gets a chance with the senior squad? I wouldn't want to make a guess with that just yet.  Bennett is another striker in the wings who I am high on.  Both are very promising. We will see.

Good post that.

That Mascarell really can thread the eye of a needle can't he.

He sees passes even Thorne wouldn't see but Thorne is that bit stronger at the moment physically but of course he's getting over injury .

JOHN EUSTACE, JOHN EUSTACE, JOHN EUSTACE

Archived