Under 21s & Academy 14/15

-JW-

• Replies 744
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They play like Real Madrid in that video. Jeezus ... are all our teams this good? Dawkins finishing nice to see, as the rest of his game is good. I am getting excited at seeing Thomas and Calero playing for the first team. Was that Bunkaju scoring the final one cuz that was sweetly done too?

Very high-quality performance. From those highlights, Wolves couldn't get near us. Great to see.

I only ever see snippets of the lad, but what I see makes me think Calero is every bit as good as Ibe.

Not got the pace, maybe Ibe shades it on control also, but Calero looks to have a better "football brain". I reckon we'll see him at Fulham.

Who are our best rated youngsters?

None of them are any good. Ever.

Kwame Thomas will never be anything above decent in League One, even Mason Bennett is going to struggle to make Premier League quality. Even young Zanzala will never go anywhere in the game. Calero isn't likely to get much better than League One. Santos will always be around League Two level. Will Hughes has almost reached his peak as a player, around lower Premier League level. Hendrick also has little to no progression left in him. 

Oh and George Thorne? Forget about him, John Eustace is actually rated higher.

Also, Johnny Russell can't play on the wing, he has to play up front and when he plays up front he is actually rated exactly the same as Chris Martin. 

Ryan Shotton's loan deal costs

******!

Might have to start my career elsewhere then.

The big question is...where??

I used to always be Fenerbahce or Fiorentina.

It's still not that bad being Derby, but my advice is if you're going to start at Derby- don't be a Derby fan. You'll pull your hair out.

I had to stop playing FM14 because Sammon was rated higher than Martin.

That is fixed now... Or well, I say "fixed".... Chris Martin now has 8 goals in 5 games for me.

The goalkeepers are horrendously broken in the FM15 beta. I beat Charlton 6-3, and also beat Rotherham 5-3. Craziness.

But regardless I would advise this discussion to move to the FM15 thread in the Pointy Room, since this is the U21s thread.

Match report for Bolton:

Mason Bennett scores late equaliser as young Rams fight back against a strong Bolton line-up

Young striker Mason Bennett marked his return to Derby County by scoring from the penalty spot in the Under 21s' 1-1 draw with Bolton Wanderers. 

In a well contested affair at the Impact Arena, Max Clayton opened the scoring with a sublime free kick 10 minutes after the interval before Lee Glover's side threw everything at the visitors. 

And after Alban Bunjaku was tripped in the area, Bennett stepped up to strike low into the bottom left corner to pick up a well deserved point. 

With Ivan Calero and Kwame Thomas set to travel with the first team for their Capital One Cup Fourth Round tie with Fulham on Tuesday night, Glover named a very youthful side compared to the team Bolton fielded as a number of first team players continue to recover from injury. 

David Wheater returned from a back injury at the heart of defence, whilst Liam Trotter and Clayton also lined up as Neil Lennon, the new Bolton Manager, took a closer look at his squad. 

With that experience, Bolton dominated and controlled large proportions of the first 45 minutes. 

Wheater tried his luck early on with a couple of set pieces, but to no avail, whilst Conor Wilkinson used his strength and pace to create a number of openings. 

The big striker struck narrowly wide after 10 minutes, before last ditch defending from Farrend Rawson, the Captain, prevented the striker from testing Jonathan Mitchell. 

At the other end, Alefe Santos smashed an effort wide after a swift counter attacking move, before Rob Hall, the Bolton winger, curled a free kick into the arms of Mitchell. 

As the game passed the half hour mark, German midfielder, Tom Koblenz, volleyed over the top of Ross Fitzsimons' bar before Alban Bunjaku smashed the post from a tight angle as the half entered its closing stages. 

The visitors did have one last chance as the game entered added on time as first Clayton's effort was palmed away after the former Crewe Alexandra had been set up by a delightful pass. The ball fell to Hall, but the winger, again, failed to get his first effort on target. 

Bouyed by their first half display, Derby made the brighter start to the second 45 minutes as Santos and Bennett recorded quick chances, but Bolton soon took the lead against the run of play. 

Against the run of play or not, the goal came in fine fashion as Clayton curled a free kick from the left hand side beyond Mitchell for the opener. 

Wilkinson nearly added a quick second, but alert defending from the Rams turned the effort away before Derby took control. 

A poor throw back to his own 'keeper by Josh Vela put Shaquille McDonald through on goal, but Fitzsimons rushed out to turn his effort away for a corner. 

Derby's persistence eventually paid off as a neat passing move forward lead to Bunjaku being fouled just inside the area and the referee, Declan Ford, had no hesitation in pointing straight to the spot. 

Up stepped Bennett to sweep an effort beyond Fitzsimons to give the Rams the equaliser their second half dominance had warranted. 

Jamie Hanson had one last chance to gift Glover's side all three points but he curled his late free kick over the top of the bar in injury time. 

Derby County U21s: Mitchell, Hendrie (Lelan, 55), Rawson, Hanson, Lowe, Guy, Koblenz, Santos, Bunjaku (Sharpe, 80), Bennett, McDonald (Zanzala, 72) 

Substitutes not used: Etheridge, Vernam 

Bolton Wanderers: Fitzsimons, Maher (Taylor, 30) (Clough, 46), Sellars, Threlkeld, Wheater, Kamara, Clayton, Vela, Wilkinson (Odelusi, 86), Trotter, Hall 

Substitutes not used: Campbell, Perry 

Read more at http://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/article/match-report-derby-county-u21s-1-1-bolton-wanderers-u21s-2045282.aspx#btcZKo26ziQRB1tE.99

Looks as though Thomas has now risen above Bennett in the pecking order then - interesting.

To be fair I think Thomas is more suited to our style of play in the Chris Martin role than Mason is - that said, personally I'd much rather see Bennett play on the wing than Ibe at present.

Archived