Greatest ever Derby player

King Kevin

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wuz there... and its a tough one , King kev, or Roy Mac, Colin Todd was super fast and class too, and lets not forget  Archie 'braveheart'  Gemmill... all played their part in our rise to the top of English football, to pick one would ignore the others....

But at the time, i worshiped Archie...not the fashionable choice, but then i aspired to being a midfielder, and he was the best.

Taribo West was exceptional. So was Igor but in a different way. Kinkladze was unbelievable when on fire, but unfortunately that was all too rare.

No one alive will have seen him play but statistically Steve Bloomer was probably the best player ever to play for Derby.

Taribo West was exceptional. So was Igor but in a different way. Kinkladze was unbelievable when on fire, but unfortunately that was all too rare.

No one alive will have seen him play but statistically Steve Bloomer was probably the best player ever to play for Derby.

Utch did.

The first Derby team i ever watched was full of great players.

Dave mackay, roy mcfarland, alan hinton.....

i also really liked the players who weren't the biggest stars.

Les green, willie carlin, john robson......

And my brother was always telling me how great were ron webster, alan durban, john o'hare......

But there was one player i kept on drawing......

Drawing him heading it, volleying it,

A real superstar......a really wonderful superhero of a player.

the King

Kevin Hector

The greatest Derby player of all time.

And there were some great players....

Most incredible signing ever had to be Charlie George for £100,000.

Roy MacFarland for £23,000 wasn't bad either.

Colin Todd was worth every last halfpenny of his record transfer fee.

Kev Hector was an absolute joy to watch.

Greatest ever Derby player? Any and every player who played in Sir Brian's 71-72 championship winning season.

OK, I'll go with Kevin Hector for the sheer excitement he never, ever, failed to generate.

Steve Bloomer, absolutely no contest, any other answer comes from bias over who you've seen play. We've talking the greatest player ever, not the greatest playing in living memory. Even the oldest ones on here can't remember the half way point in our history.

Bloomer was ahead of his time. A game changer. A record breaker. And all these years on, a record holder.

If you're that much better at everyone else around you, you're a genius. Give Bloomer a modern diet and training methods, or even something from the 70s, and he'd comfortably be the best player in any Derby side since.

After that, you've got a mix of players from the title teams and the Cup side. The latter is always under-represented when people talk about great Derby sides and great Derby players. In 1946, make no mistake about it - we were the best team on the planet. Carter and Doherty could certainly hold a candle to the very best of the 70s players.

As for the 90s "League of Nations" period...well I'm sorry but there's not a single player that should even get into the discussion. I understand for those Derby fans a bit older than me, those were the best years you've ever seen, but those are players helping us to an upper mid table finish in the Premier League, not winning cups and league titles or European Cup quarter finals. They may have been magic to watch, but they were nothing compared to the players under Clough or Mackay were at the time...and again, those players were probably nothing compared to Steve Bloomer on his day.

It's incredibly difficult to pick the clubs greatest ever player. We have all seen players we think are the best. I have seen players for Derby since the mid to late 60'. I saw our best team ever, but the likes of Stimac and Eranio have to be included as well.

I'm amazed only one person has mentioned Alan Hinton. I have never seen anyone cross a ball like Gladys did. Would Hector have scored as many goals without him on the wing? Possibly not.

The best defender I have seen is Roy Mac, he should have won 100 caps for England. Charlie George, Kevin Hector, Roger Davies, Wanchope, John O'Hare are possibly the best forwards I have seen. Although the younger fans may well include Bobby Davison in that list as well

When we talk about the greatest Derby players of all time its difficult not to get mixed up with your favourite players. Steve Bloomer is the greatest Derby player of all time. 

My favourite player is impossible really, as over the years you worship players from different eras........if i had to pick one it would be Kevin Hector. He had skill, guile, pace and supreme bravery when it was cool for a defender to cut a centre forward in half.

Roy Mac and Toddy were the best partnership in the world during a period when Bobby Moore and Franz Beckenbauer were still playing.....just saying like!

Archived