Adam Smith returns to Tottenham Hotspur

Ram@Lincoln

So we can't sell him back to Tottenham for more than the loan fee? God we always mess up on these sort of deals.

I'm still seething over the Leon osman debacle! He was worth £5m by the time he left us, but we gave him back to everton for sweet fa! 3 amigos for you!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't. There was a fee with this deal, and a commitment to pay wages. Why would Spurs take him back when there's a legally binding deal? Similarly, why would Derby send back someone they're still paying for...?

I don't want to say I told you so, but...

Spurs and Smith won't be happy with him not playing and it is difficult to imagine him playing regularly. Obviously Spurs wouldn't just cancel the deal to sit in their reserves. It would depend on another Championship club wanting to loan (and play) him. I would have thought a lower end championship team may want to take him on.

Ahem...

do you get a notification when you quote yourself? ;)

I've got to say, I'm enjoying the level of incisive action coming from the club. Sentiment and loyalty is nice, but wins nothing in football.

No. Just a warm glow.

Wisdom replacing Smith has been the biggest difference to the team since McLaren came in. The whole defence has improved as a result. I thought (and said) Smith was rubbish from a pre-season game at Burton.  

What,to spurs?

When's that ever happened?

How can we have 'lost out' (and I do know precisely what you are getting at)?

If we were paying a huge loan fee AND all his wages, then even if we didn't save one penny of that, we haven't lost out on anything at all. We would have still had to pay a huge loan fee AND all his wages if he had stayed - the only difference now is that he can get a game in Tottenham's U-21 team instead of our U-21 team, because he sure as hell wasn't getting near our first team any time soon given Andre Wisdom's presence.

Look on the positive side - it's saving on the food, showers and toilet paper at Moor Farm for a start.

How can we have 'lost out' (and I do know precisely what you are getting at)?

If we were paying a huge loan fee AND all his wages, then even if we didn't save one penny of that, we haven't lost out on anything at all. We would have still had to pay a huge loan fee AND all his wages if he had stayed - the only difference now is that he can get a game in Tottenham's U-21 team instead of our U-21 team, because he sure as hell wasn't getting near our first team any time soon given Andre Wisdom's presence.

Look on the positive side - it's saving on the food, showers and toilet paper at Moor Farm for a start.

Two words

Tom Huddlestone

All sorts is happening with our defense. It is anyone's guess what will happen in January. I personally feel he will let one of Barker and O'brien leave along with Whitbread (injury prone). Possibly look at extending Keane's loan to the end of the season and purchase a RB (hopefully Brayford). 

You can disagree about Brayford rejoining but it makes more sense than anything. Very good RB, solid CB, can play RM and LB. Not getting a look in at Cardiff and If we signed him towards the end of the window Wisdom would only be with us for 3 more months. 

This January is going to be our biggest in a long time. We may not even sign anyone loan or as a player past the end of the season. Good approach to be honest. Unwilling to make a commitment as a new manager as the first season is always very volatile. 

Archived