Adam Smith

DcfcNews12

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seems this Smith lad is very good at going forward, which is something Freeman is still lacking confidence with (plus he's still getting little injury niggles which I suspect hold him back somewhat) - not sure how good Smith is with the defensive side but we'll see.

Also, this season long loan isn't free - it will cost so there's some of the investment dosh. Defo need another centre half though - at least when Brayford was here, he was a decent back up.

You missed the line above the quote - i.e.

Any new centre-back would likely arrive on loan.

Fair enough it wasn't Clough saying it but if it is said in the DET it is likely to be the case.

To be fair though I just read the article again and, as you say, it doesn't say we aren't looking, just taking our time and that is sensible - I made the error of basically focusing on the headline which implies the search has stopped or at least dropped down the to do list.

getting the right player is crucial and if that takes time so be it - better headline would have been "CB search ongoing" though, it would still have been true if you go by NC's comments and would have been a lot more positive....

Personally I would have thought we would have signed a RB on permanent and loan a CB.

Nigel obviously still thinks OB and Barker will play at some point this season and therefore might not think spending on a CB is necessary.

Underwhelmed tbf

I thought we'd put the days of loans behind us.

What is the point exactly?

I don't have much faith in freeman ...seems just like a young gareth roberts based on what we saw the other day....i.e. a player who doesn't actually want the ball

And if you give it him......he just gets rid asap with some nothing pass.

I remember struggling to see what all the hype was about last season

Hopefully he proves me wrong, but this loan signing is hardly a ringing endorsement for freeman.

I'm still disappointed with brayford.......the fkn gonk.

Cardiff ffs? I could understand villa or west brom or stoke.......but cardiff.......?

The only obvious replacement was trippier.....and you might have to spend every penny - and more - of the money we got for the hobbit.

Grump

You missed the line above the quote - i.e.

Any new centre-back would likely arrive on loan.

Fair enough it wasn't Clough saying it but if it is said in the DET it is likely to be the case.

To be fair though I just read the article again and, as you say, it doesn't say we aren't looking, just taking our time and that is sensible - I made the error of basically focusing on the headline which implies the search has stopped or at least dropped down the to do list.

getting the right player is crucial and if that takes time so be it - better headline would have been "CB search ongoing" though, it would still have been true if you go by NC's comments and would have been a lot more positive....

You wouldn't have been the first person to read a headline and jump to conclusions (That's what they're for), and I'm sure you wont be the last.

More than happy with Adam Smith, who cares if it is a loan we may get promoted, we may loan him for another season and then the season after that we may buy him after he hasnt got into the spurs side,

We may be taken over by a very nice rich man half way through this season and Adam Smith will be below us and we may be making bids for Dani Alves who knows, hey the board might get board of us and walk away and then we become bank rupt before the end of season who knows!!!

No one can see that far in the future but in the here and now, Adam Smith is a good player who will be trying his very hardest to try and get first team football in the prem, Im glad Derby will get the benifits from this!!!

Here's a little bit of the write up about him:

He's basically good at all the things Kyle Walker was so bad at to begin the season, and bad at all the things Walker was good at, like being really fast. I've described Smith in the past as being excellent without looking spectacular. And I mean this in the best way possible. He doesn't have the pure physical attributes of Walker and isn't going to blow anybody away with barnstorming runs up the right flank (though he does have a penchant for the occasional wonder-strike). Where Adam Smith really excels is his intelligence and positioning. He reads the game phenomenally well on both sides of the pitch. He plays with his head up and always seems to know what he's going to do with the ball before he receives it. He passes incisively and generally makes the right decision in possession.

Lacking the recovery pace of Walker, he compensates for it by making better decisions and making sure he is in the right place at the right time. But when he does get caught out upfield, he's not going to win a footrace against many EPL wingers and he will be punished for it. He's solid defensively, but he's not as strong in the challenge or as good of a technical ball winner as Walker is.

The rest is at: http://www.cartilagefreecaptain.com/2013/6/25/4463118/tottenham-hotspur-prospect-rankings-adam-smith

Just watched the West Brom game on Player and specifically had an eye out for Bucko. He actually did very well in his positioning, tackling & passing. He made literally two errors. One on 52mins when he was played a pass whilst being closed down and he shanked the ball into touch and the second was on 81mins when he passed straight to the opposition giving them dangerous possession.

Nowt to worry about with Bucko so I guess the discussion as usual is all about Nigel and/or the board and is he being backed or not. As mentioned before I think the deadwood is the problem, they were probably expected to have gone by now really. I mean, we will need most if not all the cash to buy a first choice centre back who will improve us then there is the wages issue. Need to free some up.

sounds like a as good loan signing - and I think we will be apying a lot of his wages becasue the player didnt want a championship loan.

Time will tell if he's right for us but I for one think its a good bit of business

On the delaying the right back issue for a year - Could we have signed a player of his quality for the money we got from Brayfod - possibly not

Freeman is improving maybe one more year will get him to the point where he is ready to step in and then sign another up and coming young full back for cover for Freeman. Maybe its a case of we planned for Brayford leaving at the end of the season and Freeman being a ready replacement when he went. Brayford going a year early has meant we've needed to draft in a loan to cover that year.

Freeman was ok v West Brom, his passing tidy enough apart from a couple of times where he gave it away. What was noticeable  though was that he never went past his winger and he slowed it down once or twice to often by taking an extra touch.

When we're playing at home the full backs have got to bomb on. We looked a lot sharper for the last 15 when Davies came on and pushed up. I honestly think Freeman is going to be a very decent player but he still looks as if he's playing within himself and seems almost too shy, so in short I'm agreeing with Davenports common sense. Freeman needs a bit more time before he's ready.

Remember guys, that 1.5m, if not spent, could be used in Jan if we're up there or just outside the top 6 we could add some extra quality in our squad and hopefully make that final push!

STOP TALKING SENSE

. You will find out whose talking sense if it all goes pear shaped this season and we will remember lol. That's us realists.

I presume that from your use of 'LOL' in every other post that you are easily amused.

And what does the '...we will remember' bit mean? What are you going to do - ask me whether I was a footballer again?

. Very easily lol. Lol. Lol.

Don't reinforce the commonly-held misconception that some former professional footballers are as thick as pigmuck. People all have their strengths. It's just that communication possibly wasn't one of yours.

. No I'll ask you if you run a pub lol

I lived and worked in the licensing trade for more than 20 years. Next question?

Taken from a Spurs forum post:

'I've written at length about this move elsewhere, and my summary points are that this might be a good move for Smith because:

1) The loss of key player John Brayford has created a void which Smith could potentially fill for a whole season if he plays up to his promise, giving him another year of guaranteed minutes
2) Nigel Clough is incredibly youth-focused, frequently making 21-23 year-olds mainstays in his teams- he even made a key player out of 17 year-old Will Hughes and handed a first-team debut to striker Mason Bennett aged 15. He's very good at helping youngsters to mature rapidly into viable senior options and will keep giving chances and encouragement to those who show promise. If there's one Championship manager whose watch we want Smith to be developing under this season it's Clough.
3) After a few awkward consolidation years Derby will surely now be pushing hard for a playoff place this season, which means Smith will be coming into a hungry and ambitious squad.

Is it a shame Smith is going to spend another year in the Championship? Probably, yes. Is Derby a good destination for him if he has to go there? Certainly.'

Archived