Adam Smith

DcfcNews12

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DERBY County have signed Tottenham Hotspur's Adam Smith on a season-long loan as a replacement for John Brayford.

The Rams moved quickly to land the England Under-21 international following Brayford's departure to Cardiff City in a deal worth in the region of £2m.

Smith is 22 and has recently signed a three-year contract with Spurs. He has totalled 117 games in loan spells at six different clubs, including 28 appearances with Millwall last season.

A product of Tottenham's youth system, he has played twice for the White Hart Lane club.

Nigel Clough is pleased to have Smith on board with less than a week to go before Derby's opening Championship fixture against Blackburn Rovers at Pride Park Stadium.

"We are excited about Adam coming in. He is probably the best right-back we could get to replace John Brayford," said Clough.

"He has just signed a new three-year contract at Tottenham, which also shows that at 22, Spurs are still keeping him. They have still got hopes he will make their first team, which is a good sign."

Smith's experience in the Championship with Millwall is a major plus, says Clough.

"As soon as we knew there was a chance John was going to Cardiff, then we stepped up our interest and (chief executive) Sam Rush has done very well to get Adam secured on a season-long loan deal.

"He has been out on loan a few times and played quite a few games, which is great for a young player.

"The way we play, we don't want a 34-year-old at full-back. We want somebody with energy and Adam fits the bill.

"We think he will be an ideal replacement for John."

Smith played in Millwall's 2-1 victory over Derby at The Den in November and he has won 11 caps at under-21 level. He has represented England through the age groups of 16 to 21.

Players can only get stronger by playing games, Hendrick and Hughes were thrown in and given a chance. Freeman isn't a kid anymore at 22, if we're not prepared to give him a run of games now we may as well get rid.

Loan players are great if you're using them as a try before you buy, pretty obvious we have no chance of signing Smith so we're just delaying the RB problem till next summer, had there been a chance of signing him it would be a great move.

I hoped Nigel had a short list of players to cover every position if players were sold, Hughes, Hendrick and Brayford. Maybe he did and they've move on or not available I don't know.

I'm not interested in transfer fees however these kind of loans feel like wasted money.

I agree on the strangeness of a straight loan in this situation, what is more worrying is that the CB Nige was talking about a day or so back is no longer a priority according to the DET article. My feeling was that we had better cover at RB than CB as we have Freeman, Davies can play there and at a push so can O'Connor, if we needed a loan we could have got one if injuries dictated.

CB is where we are weakest, we have no real cover, Nigel is talking about Gjokaj who is promising but untested, Eustace who is a CM and Forsyth who was a LM predominately for Watford, is a LB for us and now, apparently, is CB cover.

If I could have understood a straight loan anywhere it would have been there as we are so short, this makes a lot less sense, especially as after a decent start he was dropped by Millwall last year for the last 2-3 months of his loan spell.

I hope he comes in and does well obviously but the RB signing was always secondary to the CB for me and now this seems to have fallen down the priority list

Archived