John Eustace

DcFc Dyycheee

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Training with us, Nigel says we'll sit down with him to see if he wants to do anything in terms of signing.

Says it in his Rams Player interview.

Well knock me over with a feather. I really didn't think we'd revisit Eustace. Shows what I know.

I'm not back tracking here but looking to try to understand why we're in for him, I can only think we've offered him a real cameo role. 10 minutes here or there to shore things up. I can't see him doing much more than that with a midfield three of Bryson, Hughes and Hendrick ahead of him.

A potential plus? So many times I heard the Watford players say what an influence he'd been around the place, even when he wasn't playing. Maybe he can be the calm old head.

Not my cup of tea at all and definitely not the surprise signing I was hoping for.

We'd better have a belting centre half lined up.

Has he been released then, I thought Watford were giving him a new deal ? do we really need him ? we have bailey back and should sell him before we bring another CM in. Personally I think Bailey can do a job for us anyway.

Forgot about this! Bailey a far better option in my opinion

Has he been released then, I thought Watford were giving him a new deal ? do we really need him ? we have bailey back and should sell him before we bring another CM in. Personally I think Bailey can do a job for us anyway.

I hoped we'd get shot of Bailey, a player who never advanced onto what his potential was.

http://www.watford.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=323146

John Eustace's agent says that the Watford captain will leave Vicarage Road when his contract expires in search of first-team football.

Eustace, 33, is out of contract at the end of the month but was not included on the club's released list earlier in June.

Hampered by injury throughout the season, Eustace made just two Championship starts and three further substitute outings last term, and was yesterday linked with a move to Swindon Town.

Agent Colin Gordon told The Watford Observer that move away from WD18 beckoned as Eustace searched for regular game time.

'He wants to continue playing - he wanted assurances about playing time and things like that and Watford couldn`t give him that.

"It`s disappointing we couldn`t come to an agreement and that it`s petered out in this way but the club have been very fair with us and we part on good terms."

Signed from Stoke City by Aidy Boothroyd in January 2008 for a steal at £250,000, Eustace quickly became a key figure under Boothroyd.

A change in management saw the midfield enforcer set out on loan to Derby County, for whom he scored against Watford in his final outing.

Another change in management looked to have done Eustace few favours, with an appearance bonus in his contract preventing Malky Mackay from selecting him.

Having selflessly waived the right to the money he would be due, Eustace went from strength-to-strength and was hastily re-instated in the side, becoming captain and signing a new deal the following season.

The opportunity to join Leeds United arose in 2010, but the skipper snubbed the advances of the Elland Road club to ink a three-year deal to stay at Vicarage Road.

In total Eustace made 168 first-team appearances, scoring 16 times.

A fighter, a leader and a model professional with the upmost respect of his peers, Watford's dressing room will be poorer place for John's absence next season.

Good luck, John.

Can we offer him first team football?

Think this could work out to be a decent deal.

It would be very difficult to get a player of that experience to come and play out most of the season on the bench. If he's willing to do that then I doubt we'll find a player of better quality that would come and do it without us paying a fortune.

Archived