Promotion next season?

Hans

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

. I just want us to keep improving season after season until we are truely ready.

Thoughts?

There is a big problem with this argument, it is nigh on impossible to assemble a squad that is "ready" while in the championship. For every season we don,t get promoted some of the better players will want to leave this season its john Brayford ,if we don't go up next season Will Hughes and Hendrick will want to move on.  Get promoted as soon as possible and use the premiership riches to improve the squad.

Clough says our target is 70 points for next season, this year that would have got us into the play offs, so there going to be a lot of ifs on this post. Basically say if we get in the play offs, and by some cruel twist of fate we win the play off final, then what? I'm concerned because:

If we do get into the play offs what happens?

-We win the final and go up

It won't be a problem, we won't get into the playoffs

Look guys, just post 'Clough Out' and be done with it.

That's what some of you mean, isn't it? Why waste words?

If you do want the long version, then post 'Booooo, Clough Out'

Look guys, just post 'Clough Out' and be done with it.

That's what some of you mean, isn't it? Why waste words?

If you do want the long version, then post 'Booooo, Clough Out'

I don't know... I mean I'm not his biggest fan tactics wise etc, but he's got this far, seems dumb to change it now.

I find aiming for points is nonsense. Goals conceded, goals scored points blah blah blah means nothing unless it's put into the context of a league season.

So what if you lose every game? If every single team in the league lost every game (I know that's impossible), but you had a better goal difference than the rest of the league, you've won the league, and you were the best team.

Screw points targets, all I care about is that there are, at the very maximum, only 5 better teams than us at collecting points between August and May.

This year, we only had 9 better teams than us at doing that. Not 9 better football teams, 9 better teams at collecting points. We need to halve that. The three teams coming up - Doncaster, Bournemouth and then Brentford and Yeovil probably aren't good enough to trouble us top half teams, and when you look at who's going up and coming down, then you have to say that some of those teams pose less of a threat as well.

Cardiff are always a bogey side, so that's a guaranteed nil points gone. Hull were simply too strong a unit for us to get anything out of them, so good riddance to them. I'd also expect Watford or Palace to be weaker if they fail to go up.

Wigan will probably find themselves again when they come down, and we always struggle away from home against footballing sides. As for QPR and Reading...who knows, but I suspect QPR will be the next Blackburn and we'll probably beat them at least once.

There are teams that have been there or thereabouts this season who we will struggle against once more. Brighton, for example - they're just the sort of side we hate to play. And for visiting the KP....forget anything other than a disappointing defeat.

Then they'll be someone crap this year who will magically come good this year, like Palace and Hull have. Charlton? Or someone really random like Wednesday?

I'm procrastinating writing crap because I should be revising, but my point is, all that matters is how good we are at collecting points in comparison with our rivals - and we should be better at doing that without signing anyone at all, because the league will be weaker.

Assuming Clough can have a net spend, and the league is indeed weaker - then our manager has no excuse and nowhere to hide if we don't get closer this season. It doesn't have to be the playoffs, but we have to be one of the contenders, like Forest or Bolton.

. I'd also expect Watford or Palace to be weaker if they fail to go up.

Totally agree Football league are trying to close the loop hole on Watford's Loan system and Palace will have players like Bolasie and maybe Williams attracting attention. But Holloway is always a good bet.

Totally agree Football league are trying to close the loop hole on Watford's Loan system and Palace will have players like Bolasie and maybe Williams attracting attention. But Holloway is always a good bet.

They will have money from Zaha, though - but, then again, it's quite rare for a team to miss out on promotion, have its team pulled apart and then expect to rebuild in time for the new season.

They will have money from Zaha, though - but, then again, it's quite rare for a team to miss out on promotion, have its team pulled apart and then expect to rebuild in time for the new season.

Also clubs know they got 15 million so will try to up their prices when Palace bid

Maybe Nigel doesnt want promotion.

My guess is that even if he did get us promoted, either straight up or via the playoffs, he would not be the manager of choice for the premiership campaign. His last 5 useless seasons prove that.

So, get promoted and get sacked, get relegated and get sacked.

Or just struggle for championship survival, bleat on about lack of funds and playing teams with too many ex premiership players etc, and stay employed!

Does actually sound like Nigel knows what he is doing!!!

My guess is that even if he did get us promoted, either straight up or via the playoffs, he would not be the manager of choice for the premiership campaign. His last 5 useless seasons prove that.

Or just struggle for championship survival, bleat on about lack of funds and playing teams with too many ex premiership players etc, and stay employed!

Well that's put it all to bed then.

There's actually a sound logic in there for Clough to remain mid table and save his job, scary thought though, hope it's wrong!!!

Archived